When you expose children to the concepts of diversity and self-identify at an early age, you equip them to recognize themselves and others. This awareness empowers them to cultivate critical thinking skills and the agency to advocate for positive change.
Caregivers and educators play a crucial role in assisting young children in recognizing various social components of their identities, such as ability, interests, family structure, and more.
Help children talk about and explore differences:
- lead by trying something new
- explain why differences exist
- model kind and inquisitive questions
- help children see differences as a strength
- respectfully notice and celebrate differences
- consider changing the rules of a game for all to play
In United We Learn by Lisa Bellile, follow Annabelle Jenkins on a tour of her school, United Elementary, where she shows us the value of diversity and inclusion.
The story includes rich vocabulary and is told from the viewpoint of an elementary-aged Golden Retriever, Annabelle, who embodies maturity and silliness. All species of animals are welcome at United Elementary, and staff ensures that the necessary adjustments are made for the success of all students.
United We Learn emphasizes the importance of embracing differences and celebrating each individual’s uniqueness. The social and emotional learning (SEL) competencies that are in this book include:
- relationship skills
- social awareness (diversity and inclusion)
- create a playlist with a variety of music
- research the meaning of your name
- go on a virtual field trip
- write to a NASA astronaut
- explore your ancestry
- cook a new cultural meal
United We Learn Services for Ages 5-10 Years Old
- Read aloud
- Author’s talk
- School assemblies
- Hands-on activities
- Motivational speaker
- Educational collaborator
- Social and emotional learning support
Come visit the United We Learn table at Green Bay Parenting Expo on April 27, 2024.
United We Learn books and notebooks will be for sale.
First 25 attendees get a FREE bracelet kit.
Lisa J. Bellile LLC
Contact: [email protected]
Together we celebrate differences as a source of strength and inspiration to learn from one another.